SWFL PEST CONTROL TIPS
If you’re concerned about pests in your home or business, you are not alone. In the United States there are more than 18,000 pest management companies waiting to help you. Whether you employ one or prefer to do it yourself, your first step should be to get information. Our bug blog is full of pest control articles, news and valuable information that we’ve been sharing regularly. We also share tips and details on our facebook fanpage – be sure to like it if you haven’t already.
Before treating a pest infestation, identify the pest involved, and inspect to determine the nature and extent of the problem. Whether you’re a do-it-yourselfer or a pest management professional, this information is necessary to determine the best methods to use to control the pest. Without knowledge of a pest’s identity, characteristics and level of activity, you’ll be applying control measures blindly instead of finding the right one for the job. At Lenny’s Pest Control, we’re happy to offer you a FREE In-Home Inspection to go over any details, information and let you know what we find in your home.
WHAT YOU CAN DO – WITHOUT PESTICIDES
There are many, many things you can do to help prevent and eliminate pests in and around the home without using pesticides. Here are a few:
MOISTURE CONTROL – Removing moisture that attracts pests…
- Repair leaky roofs, faucets, pipes and appliances.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Direct water away from the house.
- Eliminate standing water and water in outdoor containers.
- Ensure that crawlspaces have vents and a vapor barrier.
- Seal foundation cracks, and gaps where utility lines enter.
- Keep doors, windows and vents screened and well sealed.
- Keep exterior wood painted, stained or sealed.
- Seal items in storage. Store items in plastic, not cardboard.
- Before bringing in new items, inspect them for pests.
SANITATION – Cleaning removes food and hiding places…
- Keep trash containers clean and tightly sealed.
- Keep foods in sealed containers.
- Don’t leave dog/cat food or birdseed out for long periods.
- Remove clutter and junk, indoors and out.
- Vacuum regularly.
- Eliminate wood-to-ground contact.
- Use gravel or rock instead of wood mulch.
- Use concrete or plastic instead of wood landscape timbers.
- Keep plants trimmed and woodpiles away from house.
- Use yellow “bug lights” in exterior light fixtures.
MECHANICAL CONTROL – Removing pests, without pesticides…
- Use snap traps for mice and rats.
- Use sticky traps to locate and control insect/spider infestations.
- Use pheromone traps for clothes moths, meal moths, etc.
- Use light traps indoors for flies, etc., flypaper and swatters too.
- Use a vacuum to remove ladybird beetles, fleas, spiders, etc.
Some of the methods above take more effort than others, some cost more, but all are important parts of your pest management plan. In many cases, one or more of these is enough to eliminate pests but we are always available to help you if these aren’t enough. Household pests for which non-chemical methods are best include most “pantry pests” (flour and grain beetles, meal moths, etc.) most types of flies, and fabric pests (clothes moths, carpet beetles).
At Lenny’s Pest Control We Offer:
- Complete Pest Control Services
- Complete Termite Control & Prevention
- Competitive pricing
- Free In-Home Inspection
- Excellent Service
- Monthly Programs
- Easy Payment Plans
- Family, Pet and Plant Friendly Treatments
- Over 10 Years in Business!
- We are Licensed and insured
Lenny’s Pest Control is all about educating you and helping you protect your home and space from unwanted, bugs and pests. We would love to come out to your home or business and inspect your property, give you an estimate and get your protected. Please give us a call at (239) 945-6543 for all your pest control needs in southwest Florida.
We want to take this time to say THANK YOU for reading our blogs, liking us on Facebook, following us on twitter and connecting with us on LinkedIn. Please subscribe to our newsletter if you haven’t already done so. We also appreciate our many loyal clients for all their years of patronage!