At Lenny’s Pest Control of Southwest Florida we are always on the lookout for news, articles and valuable information to share with you about the Pest Control world. We especially like sharing Pest Control Tips and Pest Control Do’s and Don’ts and Do It Yourself Pest Control because we know that sometimes there are steps you can take to help eliminate those inconveniences or help keep bugs, pests and rodents out of your personal living space. But don’t worry, if you don’t have any peppermint or can’t borrow a cat and don’t want to fuss with cat hair, cayenne pepper or cornmeal we are always here and available to come out to your home or place of business and give you a FREE quote on our services.
Termites, however can do a lot of damage so we don’t suggest you try tackling them on your own. It’s much better to call the experts and have us give you the peace of mind that your home is truly protected. We can also help protect your beautiful trees against the wrath of the whitefly that has already done so much damage in our area. Call 239-945-6543 today to schedule your appointment and be sure to check our specials so you can save money while you protect your home and family from those unwanted pests!
We’re always on the lookout for DID YOU KNOW? Nature’s Houdini: A house mouse can squeeze through a hole the diameter of a dime. Did you know that mice turn up their noses at peppermint? Or that ants and roaches hate Tex-Mex? Some easy tricks and common household ingredients can help keep nature’s nuisances at bay, without harming kids, pets or other wildlife.
Be a Menace to Mice
- Peppermint has been an anti-mouse strategy for centuries. Some swear the strong smell keeps mice from being able to find food. Soak cotton balls in pure peppermint oil (found in health-food stores) and place in small cups near their entry points. Planting peppermint in your yard may help too.
- No cat? Borrow some cat hair from a friend or a groomer, and place it around holes.
- Better yet, block those holes altogether. Stuff them with copper mesh, which won’t rust like steel wool. Cover larger openings and the space behind air vents with hardware cloth that has a mesh size less than a quarter-inch.
- Ants depend on their scent trail: Wipe it out with undiluted white vinegar.
- They also avoid cayenne pepper. Other pests, including cockroaches and squirrels, avoid it too.
- Ants can’t digest cornmeal, but they don’t know that. Put piles of it near a problem anthill, and ants will eat it and slowly starve. This solution takes some time, but it’s safe for kids and pets.
Banish Biting Bugs
- Mosquitoes track you by the carbon dioxide you exhale. Mask it with citronella. Lemongrass (not the citronella plant) is the source of this oil. Plant this lovely ornamental around your patio or in portable pots.
- Bedbugs don’t like extremes. Chill a room at 32°F or below for several days to stop these pests cold. And wash and dry bedding at the hottest settings for at least 15 minutes. You can also set the legs of your bed in plastic cups filled with a little mineral oil, to keep bugs from climbing up.
- Many insects go toward the light. But bugs avoid yellow bug lights—use them near doorways, driveways and sidewalks. Place mercury vapor or incandescent lights around the perimeter of the property to lure insects away.
Click here to view the original article from our friends at Allstate.
Lenny’s Pest Control is all about educating you and helping you protect your home or office space from unwanted, bugs and pests. We always take time to answer all your questions and educate you about what needs to be done for your home, office or lawn. We are experienced in tackling ants, roaches, mice, the Whitefly, GRUBS, termites and any other insects in your yard or living space. We have a team of experts that specialize in Southwest Florida Pest Control inside and outside of your home or place of business and we do the job right the first time. Don’t try to fix it yourself, let the experts handle all of your pest control problems! We proudly service Residential or Commercial clients in the Lee, Charlotte and Collier Counties. Call us at 239-945-6543 to get a quote today!
We want to take this time to say THANK YOU for reading our blogs, liking us on Facebook. Please subscribe to our newsletter if you haven’t already done so. We also appreciate our many loyal clients for all their years of patronage.
If you’ve heard gnawing, squeaking, or scampering recently in your home. You probably have a house guest, a common mouse. Other rodents make their way inside, but distinctive characteristics of mice include gnaw marks on wood, plastic, or cardboard; fecal droppings 1/8 to ¼ inch long; musky odor; or body run marks along baseboards or insulation (Run marks are left behind by the dirty, oily body of a mouse repeatedly running back and forth along an established trail).
It is important to rid your home of these uninvited guests and ensure that your home is not hospitable or easily accessible to them in the future. House mice are not pets. Mice transmit diseases, cause fires by chewing electrical wiring, and mice ruin food, papers, storage boxes, woodwork, and insulation with gnawing, urine, and droppings. Lenny’s Pest Control is an expert in the extermination of these unwanted house guests. We have years of experience and know just what to do to get the job done right the first time around! We’ve put together some important information on mice and rodents for you below.
Identify Your Problem
To begin eliminating your rodent problems, start with a good inspection. Inspecting your home, shed or barn is important for determining which type of rodents are present: rats or mice. A good inspection provides three main valuable pieces of information:
- Type of Infestation
- Extent of Infestation
- Location for Control Effort
Fecal pellets are the most commonly encountered sign in a rodent inspection and serve as primary evidence to confirm an infestation. Even a small population of mice can produce literally thousands of droppings in a short period of time. Examining the droppings can serve as evidence of an infestation and may help you identify your type of infestation.
- Quantity: 50 to 75 pellets daily
- Size: ¼ inch long
- Shape: Small with 1 or both ends pointed
- Quantity: 40 to 50 pellets daily
- Size: ¾ inch long
- Shape: Larger, rectangular with blunt ends
- Found in small groups
- Quantity: 40 to 50 pellets daily
- Size: ½ inch long
- Shape: Larger, curved, sausage-shaped with pointed ends
- Found scattered
Fresh droppings are dark in color and soft in texture, but after three days they harden and lose the dark color. Age of droppings will tell you if your rodent problem is current.
Size of Infestation
This one is pretty simple – the more droppings you have…the larger your infestation, which will help you determine your approach for rat control.
Rodent Prevention Tips –
As far as your home is concerned, mice and rats look for the basics: food, water and shelter. Below are a few tips to rodent-proof your home and keep these annoying critters from thinking your home is their home.
- Cover trash cans with snug, metal lids (mice can gnaw through plastic).
- Store pet & bird food in tightly sealed glass or metal containers.
- Elevate your compost container at least 1 foot off the ground.
- Pick up around fruit trees so fallen fruit or nuts don’t remain on the ground.
- Clean up your garage tightly contain lawn seed, tulip bulbs and bone meal.
Remove opportunities for shelter
- Inspect your house for broken windows, damaged sills or siding and foundation cracks.
- Seal or screen over gaps around pipes and stove, dryer and foundation vents.
- Install flashing to keep pests from climbing up your siding and getting into the attic.
- Eliminate hiding places by removing ivy, trimming shrubs and bushes off the ground and away from the home foundation and elevating firewood.
A lot of devices and poisons have been introduced in order to exterminate rodents, but some of these may pose more problems in the future. To ensure complete victory over mice and rodents, you should hire an exterminator, such as Lenny’s Pest Control, to get rid of mice. We know everything about house rodents and the proper and effective ways to get rid of them for good!
Once you have rid your home of rodents, clean up around the house. A clean home is a less hospitable environment. Use plastic storage crates instead of boxes. Take newspapers to the recycling bin on a weekly basis. Keep woodpiles away from the house. Keep brush and debris swept, raked and cleaned. If your home looks like a mouse nest, it may very well be one.
Whether you currently have rodents or you want to protect your home against them, follow the tips included above and you’ll improve your chances of being rodent free this winter. Lenny’s Pest Control is your trusted Commensal Rodent Extermination expert in the Southwest Florida area – call us and we’ll take care of your mice or rats right away!
Lenny’s Pest Control is all about educating you and helping you protect your home and space from unwanted, bugs and pests. We would love to come out to your home or business and inspect your property, give you an estimate and get your protected. Please give us a call at (239) 945-6543 for all your pest control needs in southwest Florida.
We want to take this time to say THANK YOU for reading our blogs, liking us on Facebook, following us on twitter and connecting with us on LinkedIn. Please subscribe to our newsletter if you haven’t already done so. We also appreciate our many loyal clients for all their years of patronage!